Under the changes to the JobsPlus scheme for 2018, employers are being encouraged to employ young people (under age 25), Lone parents, refugees and long term unemployed with the incentive of grants of up to €10,000.
What is JobsPlus?
JobsPlus is a new scheme that replaced the PRSI Exemption and Revenue Job Assist and came into effect in July 2013. Under the JobsPlus scheme, grants of up to €10k are available to employers who take on someone who has been out of work for a certain period of time.
How do employers qualify for the scheme?
- Unlike previous schemes the employer does not have to have an existing workforce, and one person operations do qualify.
- The employer must have a current Tax Clearance Certificate
- The position must be for more than 30 hours per week
NB: Family members are NOT considered eligible candidates for JobsPlus.
How much is the Jobs Plus employee paid?
From the 1st of January 2018 the payment levels will be:
|Under 25 years of age, on the live register and unemployed for at least 104 days in the previous 6 months.||€7,500|
|Over 25 years of age, on the live register and unemployed for at least 312 days in the previous 18 months.||€7,500|
|In receipt of jobseekers allowance transition payment (no qualifying period applies).||€7,500|
|Persons with refugee status and are in receipt of jobseekers allowance (no qualifying period).||€7,500|
|Persons less than 50 years of age, on the live register and unemployed for at least 936 days in the previous 42 months.||€10,000|
|Over 50 years of age, on the live register and unemployed for at least 312 days in the previous 18 months.||€10,000|
Grants are paid over a two year period by monthly payments directly into the employer’s bank account.
How to apply for Jobs Plus
To avail of the scheme employers must log on to JobsPlus.ie and fill out the application form. An email will inform you if you are successful and you can then search for a candidate. Prospective employees must also go online to check their eligibility for the scheme, and if they are eligible a two part Form JP1 will be issued to them:
- JP1 Part A – Confirms eligibility of candidate for scheme and the rate of payment applicable.
- JP1 Part B – Is to be completed by the prospective employer and returned to the Department. The successful employee must contact their local SW Office to close their claim so that payment of the JobsPlus to the new employer can commence.
We can advise businesses from SME’s to large corporations on schemes like this as well as other possible funding options available for your business. If you aren’t getting advice like this from your accountant, maybe it is time to talk to us. Contact us here or call MLMG on 07493 21420.